Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Daft Punk: The root of all samples

I love Daft Punk. Until recently I assumed the songs were all original. To be honest, I was a little dissapointed when I came across this YouTube video exposing the extent to which the French duo quote the songs of the 70's. It's quite suprising that a group known for originality and innovation is so rooted in the past when it comes to the compositions themselves. Nonetheless, the duo does re-record the instruments and make their new versions more suitable to modern bass-pumping sound systems. Even after learning the terrible secret of where the music comes from, I still think these guys rock. My personal favorite Daft Punk moments: The wah-wah lead line to "Robot Rock" and the redunkulously funky bass line in "Around the World".

No comments: